During Key West Talks
For the Resolution of the Karabakh Conflict
Prisoners of War and Hostages Held in Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh
Council of Europe Parliamentary Assembly (PACE)
Date: April 25, 2001
Motion for a recommendation presented by Mrs. Hajiyeva and others.
This motion has not been discussed in the Assembly and commits only the members who have signed it.
1. As a result of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict started in 1988, which later led to the military aggression of Armenia against Azerbaijan, approximately 20 percent of the territory of the Republic of Azerbaijan was occupied.
2. According to the information given on 10 April 2001 as a consequence of this occupation 4 959 persons have been vanished, 1 092 persons out of this number were released (from 1992 to 2001) and according to the same information from the International Red Cross Committee, 176 persons are deceased.
3. But what is more important at present is that there are 783 captives, including 18 children, 43 women and 56 older men on the territory of Armenia and occupied Azerbaijani lands. Nevertheless, the Armenian side rejects this fact.
4. It is more than 6 months that the International Red Cross Committee, according to its own information, is not able to visit those captives.
5. It is already three months since Azerbaijan and Armenia became full members of the Council of Europe, and the presence of this amount of captives who do not have even any basic human rights on the territory of the country that is a member of the Council of Europe is unacceptable.
6. According to the stories of the witnesses who were released from captivity, all the captives are in slavery, constantly outraged and tortured. They do not get any normal food and necessary medical care.
7. The Assembly calls on the Committee of Ministers to ensure implementation of the European Convention on Human Rights on the territory of its member state, Armenia and the occupied lands of Azerbaijan by using all the means at its disposal.
8. The Assembly calls on the Committee on Legal Affairs and Human Rights to appoint a rapporteur on the issue of finding a solution to this problem as soon as possible;
Signed : 
Hajiyeva, Azerbaijan, EPP/CD
Aliyev I., Azerbaijan, EDG
Arzilli, San Marino, EPP/CD
Bursony, Hungary, SOC
Cilevics, Latvia, SOC
Gamzatova, Russia, UEL
Glesener, Luxembourg, EPP/CD
Guardans, Spain, LDR
Gulek, Turkey, SOC
Gurkan, Turkey, SOC
Haupert, Luxembourg, EPP/CD
Jurgens, Netherlands, SOC
Kirkhill, United Kingdom, SOC
Landsbergis, Lithuania, EDG
Martunez Casau, Spain, EPP/CD
Mikaelsson, Sweden, UEL
Rakhansky, Ukraine, UEL
Seidov, Azerbaijan, EDG
Shaklein, Russia, UEL
Stoisits, Austria, SOC
 SOC: Socialist Group
EPP/CD: Group of the European Peoples Party
EDG: European Democratic Group
LDR : Liberal, Democratic and Reformers Group
UEL: Group of the Unified European Left
NR: not registered in a group
Back to Media Index
Back to After Key West
Back to Karabakh Index
AI Home | Magazine Choice | Topics | Store | Contact us
Posted on Azerbaijan International - Azer.com